1 according to schedule or without delay; "they were always on time"; "a prompt reply" [syn: on time]
3 quick in apprehending or reacting; "a prompt (or ready) response"; "a prompt smile"
4 performed with little or no delay; "an immediate reply to my letter"; "prompt obedience"; "was quick to respond"; "a straightaway denial" [syn: immediate, quick, straightaway]
1 a cue given to a performer (usually the beginning of the next line to be spoken); "the audience could hear his prompting" [syn: prompting]
2 (computer science) a symbol that appears on the computer screen to indicate that the computer is ready to receive a command [syn: command prompt]
1 give an incentive for action; "This moved me to sacrifice my career" [syn: motivate, actuate, propel, move, incite]
3 assist (somebody acting or reciting) by suggesting the next words of something forgotten or imperfectly learned [syn: remind, cue]
- Rhymes: -ɒmpt
- On time. - (Be prompt for your appointment)
- Quick - (He was very prompt getting a new job)
- To lead someone toward what they should say or do - (I prompted him to get a new job).
- - to show or tell an actor/person the words they should be
saying, or actions they should be doing.
- If he forgets his words I will prompt him.
to show or tell an actor/person the words they should be saying, or actions they should be doing
Prompt is an adjective meaning "quick" or "on time", or a verb meaning "to lead someone".
- Command prompt, in computing, a character in a command line interface to indicate that the computer is ready to accept typed input
- Prompt (theatre) or "prompter", in theatre, the person who prompts an actor when they forget their next line
- Prompt corner or prompt box, the location at the side of the stage where the prompt is located
- Prompt critical, in nuclear engineering, the state of an assembly when for each nuclear fission event, one or more of the immediate or prompt neutrons released causes an additional fission event
- Prompt neutron, in nuclear engineering, a neutron immediately emitted by a nuclear fission event, as opposed to a delayed neutron
- PROMPT Telescopes, an array of telescopes located at CTIO which are designed to rapidly observe gamma-ray burst afterglows simultaneously in multiple filters
prompt in German: Prompt
prompt in French: Prompt
prompt in Japanese: プロンプター
accordant, acquiescent, admonish, adumbrate, affect, affirmative, agile, agog, agreeable, agreeing, aide-memoire, alacritous, alert, alive, all agog, allude to, amenable, animated, anxious, approving, apt, ardent, argue into, arouse, assenting, attentive, avid, awake, awaken, bend, bias, breakneck, breathless, bright, bring, bring about, bring around, bring to recollection, brisk, broad hint, bursting to, cajole, call forth, call up, carry, carry back, cause, caution, charge, clue, coax, color, compliable, compliant, consentient, consenting, content, convince, cooperative, cue, cursory, dashing, decide, decisive, desirous, determine, dispatchful, dispose, disposed, docile, double-quick, draw, drop a hint, eager, eagle-winged, egg on, elicit, encourage, endorsing, engage, enjoin, enlist, enthusiastic, evoke, exhort, expeditious, expostulate, express, fain, fast, favorable, favorably disposed, favorably inclined, festinate, feverish, flapper, fleet, flying, forward, full of life, furious, galloping, game, gentle hint, gesture, get, get to do, give a hint, give rise to, give the cue, glance at, glimmer, glimmering, goad, hair-trigger, hasty, headlong, help, hint, hint at, hold the promptbook, hurried, hustling, immediate, impatient, impel, implication, imply, in the mind, in the mood, incite, incline, inclined, index, indicate, indication, induce, influence, inkling, innuendo, insinuate, insinuation, inspire, instant, instantaneous, interest in, intimate, intimation, issue a caveat, jog the memory, jogger, keen, kick, last-minute, lead, light of heel, light-footed, lively, look, lure, memorandum, mercurial, minded, motivate, move, muster up, nag, nimble, nimble-footed, nod, nothing loath, nudge, occasion, on the, on the alert, on the ball, on the job, on the spot, on time, panting, passing, permissive, persuade, pliant, preach, precipitate, predispose, predisposed, prevail, prevail on, prevail upon, prick, procure, prod, prompt the mind, prompter, prompting, prone, propel, provoke, punctual, put in mind, put in remembrance, qui vive, quick, quick as lightning, quick as thought, rapid, raring to, ratifying, ready, ready and willing, recall, receptive, reckless, remember, remembrance, remembrancer, remind, remind one of, reminder, remonstrate, responsive, rouse, running, sanctioning, scent, sharp, sic, sign, signal, slap-bang, slapdash, sleepless, smart, snap, snappy, soften up, spanking, speedy, spirited, spoor, spry, spur, stimulate, stimulus, submissive, suggest, suggestion, summary, summon up, superficial, suspicion, sway, swift, symptom, talk into, telltale, tempt, tickler, timely, tinge, tone, track, tractable, unblinking, ungrudging, unhesitating, unloath, unnodding, unrefusing, unreluctant, unsleeping, unwinking, urge, urgent, vigilant, vital, vivacious, vivid, wakeful, warn, watchful, wear down, weigh with, well-disposed, well-inclined, whisper, wide-awake, willed, willing, willinghearted, win over, winged, wink, work, zealous, zestful